Our Network > Karnataka > Dakshina Kannada
Our Network > Holy Angels Convent - Belvedere

The community was erected in 1936, for the purpose of providing a more conducive atmosphere required for the novitiate house and the formation of the novices. At present it is a Provincial House of the Mangalore province and a Novitiate House for Mangalore and Dharwad Provinces. The community collaborates with the Provincialate and the Novitiate by facilitating the initial and on-going formation.

Belvedere is situated in Maroli village of Mangalore city. It is a semi urban area where social evils such as poverty, alcoholism, consumerism, communal disharmony, gender discrimination and the negative influence of the media are prevalent. The sisters cater to the pastoral activities, reaching out to the poor and needy and render their services to the youth. One sister renders her service at the College of Nursing at Athena Institute of Health Sciences, Mangalore.

Our Network > Holy Angels Convent (Interprovincial Novitiate) - Belvedere

On the 24th of May 1936 the Novitiate from Jeppu was shifted to Belvedere to a quieter place for the sake of better formation of the novices. The sisters working in the novitiate were also the members of Belvedere community under the same superior. On 21st July 1986, for a more effective formation of the novices, the novitiate was formed into a separate community, the novice mistress also being the superior of the novitiate community. On the 10th of November 1988, the ‘Come and See’ programme for the candidates (period of Orientation) was started at Rosa Hill. The Candidates’ House was entrusted to the novitiate community. On 15th August 2009 the novitiate was constituted as an ‘Interprovincial House’ for the provinces of Mangalore and Dharwad and the community became interprovincial with the insertion of a member from the province of Dharwad. Hence the Interprovincial Novitiate Community consists of four members directly involved in the formation of the novices and candidates of the orientation period.

Our Network > Casa Gaia Convent - Mangalore

The community is situated in Maroli village of Mangalore city, which was erected in 1935, in response to the need for imparting Christian education to the children of the locality. In 1978 the infirmary was inaugurated to take care of the aged sisters of the province.

The population of the area is approximately 10,000 with 780 Catholic families. Most of them belong to middle class and a few are of low socio-economic background. Social evils such as alcoholism, exploitation of women, drug addiction, low morality and superstitious practices are prevalent among the people.

The sisters render their service in the Primary School; take care of the faith formation of children and youth, Promotion of women, care for the elderly and sick sisters with love and dedication. The sisters are also involved in pastoral activities. One of the sisters serves in the College of Nursing in Athena Institute of Health Sciences Mangalore.

Our Network > Capitanio Convent - Mangalore

Capitanio School was started in 1940 to educate the children from poor families of the locality, as well as from rural areas. The community was erected in the year 1941. The area has a population of about 25,000. The community belongs to Angelore Parish, which has a Catholic population of 3,373 faithful in 780 families. A majority of the people belong to the middle and lower socio-economic strata of society. Social evils such as alcoholism, broken families, inter-caste marriages, and neglect of the aged are prevalent in this area.

Open to the signs of the times and to the needs of the locality and in response to the crying need of the young women of Mangalore and the nearby villages a boarding and hostel was opened to accommodate the teacher trainees and other students. Today it has a full-fledged school from Kindergarten to High School, a Composite P. U. College and a Secondary Teachers’ Training school.

With the same enthusiasm of St. Bartolomea Capitanio and keeping her aims in view, the sisters direct themselves with attention and courage to promote an all round development of students with value-oriented education. They also provide professional training for young girls and impart value education and guide them to live a healthy and happy life. They promote peace and unity in families through family visits and work towards the eradication of social evils. The sisters actively participate in the parish activities and help to strengthen the faith formation of the Catholics. The community also takes care of the Candidates who pursue their studies.

Our Network > Holy Rosary Convent - Moodabidiri

Queen of the Holy Rosary our Heavenly Mother has been the joy and strength ever since the sisters started the mission in Alangar, Moodbidri town a historical and holy place for the Jains. It is an important and famous town in Dakshina Kannada situated near Moodbidri town about 37 kms North East of Mangalore. It is a multi-religious locality, consisting of different castes and creeds, namely Hindus, Jains, Muslims, Christians and Dalits. The community was opened in the year 1936 at the request of Mons. Francis Elias D’Souza, to take up the service of teaching, parochial service and social work. The main apostolate of the sisters was teaching in order to eradicate illiteracy. The sisters continued serving the needy of Alangar and others without differentiating between castes and creeds.

The social problems of the locality are: poverty, illiteracy, alcoholism and immorality. The sisters are engaged in the education of the children, family apostolate, promotion of women, pastoral care of youth and faith formation of the Catholics.

Our Network > Infant Mary’s Convent - Jeppu

Infant Mary’s Convent is situated in Jeppu in Mangalore city. The community was erected in 1898 at the request of Fr. Angelo Diamanti S.J, to cater to the needs of the orphans and the aged people of St. Joseph’s Asylum, now known as St. Joseph Prashanth Nivas. It was with the objective of expressing God’s love to the destitute and the most needy of our society such as the sick, the aged, the physically handicapped, the differently abled, the orphans and those in extreme need, through the works of mercy.

Jeppu is an urban area, where the evils prevalent in the social milieu are alcoholism, low morality, shallow faith, broken families, poverty, indolence and sickness such as tuberculosis, cancer, HIV\AIDS and drug addiction.

Taking the example of Mother Mary who reached out in service, the sisters, strive to serve the needy brethren of the society regardless of caste, creed, religion, gender or age. This is evident from the ever-growing number of residents at Prashanth Nivas and Children’s home. With the help of generous benefactors they do their best to make the life of the residents as comfortable as possible by providing them with decent accommodation, food, clothing, medicine, spiritual and emotional support, as well as opportunities for education. The sisters generously extend their services to the children in the school, care for the destitute and differently abled, render service to the boarding children, do social welfare and socio-pastoral service, conduct tailoring classes and take care of the elderly sisters in the infirmary. One sister renders her service at the College of Nursing at Athena Institute of Health Sciences, Mangalore and one sister renders her service in St. Gerosa High School. The sisters also visit the families of their students and the needy in the locality and are involved in the pastoral activities.

Our Network > Maria Sadan - Olavina Halli, Kinya

Maria Sadan - Olavina Halli is 18 kms away from Mangalore city. It is situated in Kinya, Someshwar - Karnataka. It was erected in 1974 with the name ‘Olavina Halli’, which means ‘village of love’. It was started by an Italian visionary the Late Sr. Amelia Cimolino (SCCG), who was the pioneer of this centre. The purpose of this Mission was to cater to the leprosy patients, the destitute and their rehabilitation. At present the sisters render their service to 105 destitutes both men and women, including 21pateints of Hansen disease, of all castes and creeds. The majority of them are ‘Senior Citizens’. The above residents have been accommodated in four wards, where the sisters nurse them with love and tenderness by attending to their physical, psychological and spiritual needs. The institution also has a resident Chaplain.

The people of this locality are economically poor; the prevailing problems are drunkenness, superstitious beliefs and deterioration of moral values. They also assist the youth in finding employment and in settling them in life. Programmes are conducted to create awareness of the hazards of alcoholism and drug addiction. They work for the empowerment of women and impart faith formation and moral education. The sisters also run a Kindergarten school.

Our Network > Nirmala Convent - Ullal

Nirmala Social Welfare Centre, Ullal is situated on the South Western Coast of India along the Arabian Sea. The land covering 6.11 acres had been donated by Late Mr. Felix Pai Albuquerque, the father of late Sr. Felix Albuquerque (SCCG) to start a Centre with the objective of reaching out to the neediest through social welfare services.

On the 6th December 1962 the community of Nirmala Convent was erected with 4 sisters. They started a nursery school, tailoring course, and social work in the neighbourhood, especially among the young girls employed in the fish factory. Ullal is a thickly populated area with a variety of cultures and languages. Alcoholism, superstitions and communalism exist, but overall peace and harmony prevail. The Parish caters to 1150 families with 6500 Catholic population. From 1973 onwards various organized services have been taken up and at present they are engaged in a number of services: A small hospital mainly for women and children, training for the Nursing Health Care Helpers, embroidery and tailoring classes for young girls and women and a residence for those who need, settling in marriage the poor and orphan girls of the institution, senior citizens’ home and boarding facilities, infirmary for the elderly and sick sisters.

Our Network > St. Aloysius Convent - Nehrunagar

Early in 1980 an Aloysian social service unit, a home for 12 TB patients was set up at Nehrunagar as a memorial to mark the centenary celebration of St. Aloysius College of the Jesuits. In the following year the Rector of the college had an inspiration to convert this shelter of the TB patients into a boys’ home as this would provide scope for service to the Aloysian boys. After obtaining the necessary approval the enthusiastic sisters entered this apostolic field with great trust in God. At the inception, there were only 9 boys. This home was soon to become a Government recognized institution. It was directly attached to the provincial house; but in 1983 it became the off-shoot of Nirmala Convent. It was only on Sept. 8th, 1993 a community was erected here. The Aloysian boys’ home caters primarily to delinquent children, runaways, those remanded to custody by the police. To remove the stigma that would be associated with anyone staying in a home for delinquents it is also made a home for destitute children. Sisters are also engaged in faith formation of the laity and counselling of school children.

Our Network > St. Gerosa Convent - Mangalore

St. Gerosa Convent is situated within Mangalore City Corporation. The majority of people belong to the middle class and others are economically poor. The people are affected by moral problems such as broken families, drunkenness and inter-religious marriages. Unhealthy usage of mass media is an emerging problem which affects faith, prayer and family life.

Since most of the girls on completing their VII Std. at Infant Mary’s Higher Primary School, Jeppu, were discontinuing their studies because of poverty and they could not afford to go to distant schools, a High School was opened. After the example of St. Vincenza Gerosa’s love for the poor, the sisters were inspired to open a boarding house in order to cater to the weaker sections of the society. A Tailoring class was begun in order to help the poor young girls to earn their living. In 1973, the present convent was constructed within the very premises of St. Gerosa School. In order to help to build healthy relationships between boys and girls, co-education was started in the year 2010 in L.K.G and U.K.G and then continued up to S.S.L.C. Today it has a full-fledged school from Kindergarten to High School. Sisters are also involved in teaching catechism and animating the liturgy in the parish.

Our Network > St. Gerosa's Convent - Naravi

Naravi is a tiny but beautiful village nestled in the panoramic landscape of the Western Ghats. It is situated in Belthanagady of Dakshina Kannada District. The mission of Naravi was started by Rev. Fr. Faustine Corti S.J. in the year 1905. It is one of the Malnad missions established by the Jesuit Fathers under the patronage of St. Antony of Padua.

In the year 1934 the Sisters of Charity received a call from the Mission Director of Naravi to help the Jesuit Missionaries in the work of Evangelization through Education and faith formation. Hence the sisters started rendering their generous service in the Primary and High schools and in the Orphanage. The sisters were entrusted with the caring for the children under the parish management. The building of character, the instilling Christ’s values and formation to good Christian living is the main thrust of the institution. The sisters blend motherliness with keenness in caring for the children and the children receive spiritual and moral training.

The sisters form a close knit family with the parish. Visiting the families regularly and remaining close to them is a marked feature of the community. Youth programmes are a vital part of the mission of Naravi. Redeeming charity has found its echo in Naravi and continues its mission of love with full zest.

Our Network > St. Joseph's Convent - Nellyady

St Joseph’s Convent, Nellyady was canonically erected in 1994 with the aim of having a rehabilitation centre for the differently abled women and girls of Prashanth Nivas Jeppu. The Community is situated on the outskirts of the Kokkada parish which consists of 215 catholic families with a population of 1060. Apart from Latin rite families there are Catholics belonging to Syro-Malabar and Syro-Malankara rites. There are various groups of Christians belonging to different denominations. Alcoholism, broken families, spiritual and material poverty, lack of basic necessities of life are visible among the people.

Inspired by the need of the numerous children of this locality and the surrounding villages, who due to poverty, illiteracy and mal-nutrition were living unhappy and unhealthy lives, deprived of proper food, medicines and educational facilities, the sisters were urged to think how best to make the lives of these children happy and contented. So the centre opened its doors to render medical assistance, Nutrition Programme, Mahila Mandal, Saving Scheme, Alcoholic Anonymous, Coaching classes for the weaker children and to help the needy.

The care of the differently abled is carried out by the sisters with dedication, love and competence, unmindful of the sacrifices entailed. The community is also involved in the socio-welfare work helping the poor students and guiding self-help groups. The sisters have extended their service to the parish and the work of human promotion in the neighbouring villages through a sponsorship programme. The community also takes care of the faith formation of the Catholics in the sub-station.

Our Network > St. Vincent Convent - Kankanady

The community of St. Vincent Convent is situated in Kankanady in the city of Mangalore. This community was opened in the year 1898 to assist the sick in the hospital at the invitation of a German Jesuit Father Augustus Muller, the founder who had started the hospital in 1880. In response to the signs of the time the community took upon itself to render services such as Nursing Education, care of Leprosy patients, the Differently abled, De-addiction of alcoholics, the Terminally ill and other Supportive services such as the Medical Store and the Hostel.

Though sisters live in an urban area, they mostly serve the people who constitute the economically lower and middle class families. More than 50% of the patients belong to the poor and neglected group of the society. The sisters are also engaged in the Pastoral Care of the youth in the campus and the local parishes.