Our Network > Communities

KARNATAKA

 

KARUNALAYA - BANGALORE

The Sisters of Charity began their services at St. John’s Medical College and Hospital and the Nursing School since 1982. The hospital is situated in the south of the city of Bangalore. It is a National Academy and is governed by the Conference of Bishops of India; hence it is an independent institution. It comes under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Bangalore. The Institution has 1200 beds for inpatients distributed among various departments. More than 1500 students reside here and are studying in different institutions such as the Medical College, College of Nursing and attending other courses. Students hail from all over India. About 1000 employees are also lodged in different hostels in the campus. More than 4000 employees render their services in different departments of the hospital and teaching institutions. About 400 sisters belonging to 93 religious congregations render their services as staff and students. Most of the helpers are from low socio-economic and different cultural backgrounds.

The community of Karunalaya was officially erected as a community on 24th June 1996 in view of better service. At present sisters are involved in Administrative Services in the College of Nursing, education of the student nurses, patient care in the hospital, faith formation of students and staff nurses and service in the hostels as wardens and take care of the formation of our student sisters.

*NAVA JEEVAN - is the off-shoot of Karunalaya which consists of three sisters who render full time service in Central Jail Bangalore (Prison Ministry) where more than 4,000 prisoners are detained. Special care is given to the Catholics teaching them catechism and preparing them for the sacraments. They also extend their service to persons of all faiths through their good word and counselling. Sisters work in collaboration with the pastoral plan of the diocese. They are also involved as members in Prison Ministry of India (PMI).

 

 

PREM SADAN CONVENT - CHIKKAKAMMANAHALLI

Prem Sadan Convent is located in Chikkakammanahalli in South East Bangalore. The Sisters of Charity started their mission in the year 1970.  The aim of the mission was to build the faith of the Catholic communities who were a mixture of Tamil and Telugu languages.  Their main apostolate was teaching and pastoral work. The Sisters started teaching in the lower Primary School which already existed.  The majority of our beneficiaries come from lower middle class. They are often affected by social evils such as drunkenness, immoral life, exploitation of women and girls and exploitation of the poor by the land lords.  70% of the people are Catholics; 30% are Hindus and Muslims. Faith formation is the most urgent need of the hour.  The sisters encourage the youth and orient them towards a value based life.

 

 

SNEHALAYA - SOLUR

The mission of ‘Snehalaya’ was started in 1975, after having made a study of the socio-economic, cultural and ecclesial situation of the place which is 48 kms away from Bangalore city. In 1979, the community was erected mainly with the intention of reviving and strengthening the faith of the Catholics and to render health care to the people of Solur and of the surrounding villages since they could not have access to any hospital. 

Moved with compassion and considering the health needs of the people of the village, a dispensary was started and later a hospital was constructed and Nursing Aid Course was introduced. To take care of the unemployed a Rehabilitation Centre was opened in 1977 and an embroidery class was started in 1978. To save and safeguard the life of the abandoned babies a Crèche was opened and adoption work was taken up in 1979. Being provoked by so many young girls/women without education and struggling to maintain their family life the sisters felt the need to start a Grihini Training Centre and a Nursery School.
The sisters are engaged in the education of children, promotion of health and hygiene and prevention of AIDs, eradication of social evils such as abortion, alcoholism and superstitious beliefs. In order to reach out in service to the remote villages they organize various activities: mobile dispensary, medical camps, awareness programmes, and self employment schemes.

The sisters render their active service in the parish which has 130 families. The Catholics here need to be strengthened in their knowledge and practice of the Christian faith. Faith formation and continual follow up work, teaching catechism and preparing the people for the reception of sacraments are the services they offer to the parish community.

 

STELLA MARIS CONVENT - BANGALORE

The community was started on 11th May 1957, as a welcoming community to provide accommodation to our sisters who came to Bangalore, the state capital on official work. It had a poor beginning with 4 sisters who stayed in a rented house. They also engaged themselves in the educational apostolate by opening a school in the same house for 27 poor children of the locality. Today it has a full-fledged school from Kindergarten to High School that provides God oriented and other oriented education towards life.

The Community is situated in 23, Gayatri Devi Park Extension Bangalore with a total population of 1,61,31,589 among whom the Christian population is 4,25,000. Bangalore is a fast growing city. Its population at large is subjected to certain hardships due to overcrowding and the knowledge sector has created a lot of job opportunities. Institutions for IT, professional studies and higher qualifications are on the increase. Being a metropolitan city, its people belong to various classes, religions and language groups. Families maintain isolation and anonymity. Christian life is rather superficial and often uncommitted. Increasing tension between language groups is a sore point in the local church

Inspired by the availability of Mother Mary - the Patroness, the sisters commit themselves to provide education especially to the socially and economically marginalized of this locality, to prepare them to secure decent employment so as to help them to live with human dignity. They give special attention to the poor and weak students through extra coaching classes, building closer relationships with the families by their visits and offering right orientation towards life through personal guidance. The sisters actively participate in the parish activities.

 

SNEHA SADAN - KANAKAL, BASAVANA BAGEVADI

Basavana Bagevadi is one of the most backward taluks in Bijapur district, consisting of 120 villages. It is a thickly populated area with a population of 3,03,290. It is backward in all respects, especially in education and socio-economic spheres. Literacy, hygiene and health care are extremely low. Literacy is 54.47%. It has historical importance because it is the birth place of Basavanna, a Hindu reformer. Basavana Bagevadi is a home of many cultures and religions. Casteism is very much prevalent in this place. There are various categories of people such as Hindus, Muslims, Lambanis, Gollas and Maragammas. There is no Christian presence at all in this region. The caste ridden society is also afflicted with a number of social evils such as bonded labour, child labour, child marriage, devadasi system, superstitious beliefs, untouchability, oppression, exploitation and injustice. The people being illiterate are easily influenced by the religious and social customs of their neighbours. The villages are situated far away from the town and the transportation to these villages is very poor and irregular.

To this poor and neglected district of Karnataka, Jesus called the Sisters of Charity of Mangalore to incarnate themselves as missionaries to share the compassionate love of God with the most needy. The sisters from Mangalore arrived in Basavana Bagevadi in 1997, in response to the Church’s call for evangelization in view of the great jubilee of “Yesu Kristha Jayanthi 2000”. At the request and with the consent of the then Bishop of Belgaum, Most Rev. Bernard Moras, the sisters at Basavana Bagevadi were  constituted as a community on 2nd January 2000 for the purpose of rural health care, empowerment of women and literacy programme of the poor and needy. Since the sisters lived in a rented house, the community was shifted to the new building at Kanakal on 29th of March 2001.

 

SEVA SADAN - MUDDEBIHAL

The community of ‘Seva Sadan’ at Muddebihal was opened in 2006, as an offshoot of ‘Sneha Sadan’ at Kanakal in Bijapur. It was in response to the Church’s call to evangelization and harkening to the urgent request of the General Chapter, that our Provincial Superior sent a team of 3 sisters to launch out to Muddebihal. Muddebihal is one of the taluks of Bijapur which belongs to the diocese of Gulbarga. Initially the sisters experienced rejection from the people because of their fear of being converted to the Christian faith. After having appreciated their service at Kanakal, the Junior Chamber of the Jaycees invited the sisters to take up the management of their school. In addition to educational service the sisters also pursued social developmental activities side by side. The Provincial Superior, considering the needs of the locality, erected the community of Seva Sadan on 12th February, 2009 consisting of 3 sisters.

The caste ridden society is afflicted with a number of social evils such as: bonded labour, child marriages, superstitious beliefs, untouchability, oppression, exploitation, injustice etc. The catholic population of Bijapur district is 270 with 50 catholic families. There is no catholic presence in Muddebihal taluk except the sisters’ presence. The sisters are engaged in: education, health care, social service, vocational training, employment of women and pastoral care.

*JYOTHI NIVAS - Gulbarga is the off-shoot of Seva Sadan - Muddebihal. The sisters render their service at Mother Theresa Charitable Hospital run by the Bishop of Gulbarga Rt. Rev. Robert Miranda.

 

SPOORTHI SADAN - TALIKOTI

The community of Spoorthi Sadan was erected on 12th February 2009. Inspired by the services of the sisters at different places in Bijapur, Dr. Anand Bhat, the manager of the School handed over the management of the school to the Bishop of Gulbarga Rt. Rev. Robert Miranda. He requested, the Sisters of Charity to render their services in this school. The school was upgraded to a high school in 2011 with the name Sacred Heart School.
Talikoti is one of the towns of Muddebihal Taluk in the District of Bijapur, which consists of a population of 75,000. There are various categories of people such as Hindus, Muslims, Lambanis, Gollas and Maragammas. Casteism is very much prevalent and quite a number of Marwadies have migrated from the Northern states of India. There is no Christian presence except for one Protestant family. The sisters are part of St. Ann’s Church, at Bijapur, which is 95 kms away and it consists of 50 Catholic families.
Sisters cater to the needs of the locality through value based education, promotion of women, evangelization through family visits and life witness.

 

SHANTHI NIVAS - BETTADAMANE

     Though ‘Shanthi Nivas’ at Bettadamane was started in the year 1983, as a house of prayer and a holiday home for the sisters of the Mangalore province, the community was officially erected only in the year 1993. The community of Shanthi Nivas is 14 Kms away from the town of Mudigere which is the Taluk head quarters. The Bettadamane village comes under the ecclesial jurisdiction of Gonibeedu parish of Chikmagalur diocese. In the year 2003, on September 3rd the original vision of the province was finally realized with the blessing and inauguration of the prayer house for the sisters of the province.

It is an estate area with coffee as the main crop. Economically and socially it is a developing area. A few landlords hold the sprawling coffee estates and fields, while the mass of people work under them as day labourers. Around 20% of the people are illiterate. 55% of men and 47% of women are addicted to alcohol. People are also prone to superstitious practices especially in times of death and misfortune in the families. Health and hygiene are poor. The moral tone of the families is poor and family bonds are weak.

Being provoked by the needs of the people, the sisters actively got involved in the faith formation of catholic families, parish apostolate, giving value based education to non Christian families, empowering the women and villagers and offering them assistance to maintain health and hygiene. Since the need for social action ministry is strongly felt they join hands with Chikmagalur Multi Social Service Society (CMSSS) and reach out to 12 villages of Mudigere Taluk. Through 206 Self Help Groups they help 2087 families, unmindful of castes, creeds or languages.

 

HOLY ANGELS’ CONVENT - BELVEDERE, MANGALORE

The community was erected in 1936, for the purpose of providing a more conducive atmosphere required for the novitiate house and the formation of the novices. At present it is a Provincial House of the Mangalore province and a Novitiate House for Mangalore and Dharwad Provinces. The community collaborates with the Provincialate and the Novitiate by facilitating the initial and on-going formation. 

Belvedere is situated in Maroli village of Mangalore city. It is a semi urban area where social evils such as poverty, alcoholism, consumerism, communal disharmony, gender discrimination and the negative influence of the media are prevalent. The sisters cater to the pastoral activities, reaching out to the poor and needy and render their services to the youth. One sister renders her service at the College of Nursing at Athena Institute of Health Sciences, Mangalore.

 

HOLY ANGELS’ CONVENT (INTERPROVINCIAL NOVITIATE) -  BELVEDERE, MANGALORE

On the 24th of May 1936 the Novitiate from Jeppu was shifted to Belvedere to a quieter place for the sake of better formation of the novices. The sisters working in the novitiate were also the members of Belvedere community under the same superior. On 21st July 1986, for a more effective formation of the novices, the novitiate was formed into a separate community, the novice mistress also being the superior of the novitiate community. On the 10th of November 1988, the ‘Come and See’ programme for the candidates (period of Orientation) was started at Rosa Hill. The Candidates’ House was entrusted to the novitiate community. On 15th August 2009 the novitiate was constituted as an ‘Interprovincial House’ for the provinces of Mangalore and Dharwad and the community became interprovincial with the insertion of a member from the province of Dharwad. Hence the Interprovincial Novitiate Community consists of four members directly involved in the formation of the novices and candidates of the orientation period.

 

CASA GAIA CONVENT - MANGALORE

The community is situated in Maroli village of Mangalore city, which was erected in 1935, in response to the need for imparting Christian education to the children of the locality. In 1978 the infirmary was inaugurated to take care of the aged sisters of the province.

The population of the area is approximately 10,000 with 780 Catholic families. Most of them belong to middle class and a few are of low socio-economic background. Social evils such as alcoholism, exploitation of women, drug addiction, low morality and superstitious practices are prevalent among the people.

The sisters render their service in the Primary School; take care of the faith formation of children and youth, Promotion of women, care for the elderly and sick sisters with love and dedication. The sisters are also involved in pastoral activities. One of the sisters serves in the College of Nursing in Athena Institute of Health Sciences Mangalore.

 

CAPITANIO CONVENT - MANGALORE.

Capitanio School was started in 1940 to educate the children from poor families of the locality, as well as from rural areas. The community was erected in the year 1941. The area has a population of about 25,000. The community belongs to Angelore Parish, which has a Catholic population of 3,373 faithful in 780 families. A majority of the people belong to the middle and lower socio-economic strata of society. Social evils such as alcoholism, broken families, inter-caste marriages, and neglect of the aged are prevalent in this area.

 Open to the signs of the times and to the needs of the locality and in response to the crying need of the young women of Mangalore and the nearby villages a boarding and hostel was opened to accommodate the teacher trainees and other students. Today it has a full-fledged school from Kindergarten to High School, a Composite P. U. College and a Secondary Teachers’ Training school.

With the same enthusiasm of  St. Bartolomea Capitanio and keeping her aims in view, the sisters direct themselves with attention and courage to promote an all round development of students with value-oriented education. They also provide professional training for young girls and impart value education and guide them to live a healthy and happy life. They promote peace and unity in families through family visits and work towards the eradication of social evils. The sisters actively participate in the parish activities and help to strengthen the faith formation of the Catholics. The community also takes care of the Candidates who pursue their studies. 

 

 

HOLY  ROSARY CONVENT - MOODBIDRI

Queen of the Holy Rosary our Heavenly Mother has been the joy and strength ever since the sisters started the mission in Alangar, Moodbidri town a historical and holy place for the Jains. It is an important and famous town in Dakshina Kannada situated near Moodbidri town about 37 kms North East of Mangalore. It is a multi-religious locality, consisting of different castes and creeds, namely Hindus, Jains, Muslims, Christians and Dalits. The community was opened in the year 1936 at the request of Mons. Francis Elias D’Souza, to take up the service of teaching, parochial service and social work. The main apostolate of the sisters was teaching in order to eradicate illiteracy. The sisters continued serving the needy of Alangar and others without differentiating between castes and creeds.

The social problems of the locality are: poverty, illiteracy, alcoholism and immorality. The sisters are engaged in the education of the children, family apostolate, promotion of women, pastoral care of youth and faith formation of the Catholics.

 

INFANT MARY’S CONVENT - JEPPU.

Infant Mary’s Convent is situated in Jeppu in Mangalore city. The community was erected in 1898 at the request of Fr. Angelo Diamanti S.J, to cater to the needs of the orphans and the aged people of St. Joseph’s Asylum, now known as St. Joseph Prashanth Nivas. It was with the objective of expressing God’s love to the destitute and the most needy of our society such as the sick, the aged, the physically handicapped, the differently abled, the orphans and those in extreme need, through the works of mercy.

Jeppu is an urban area, where the evils prevalent in the social milieu are alcoholism, low morality, shallow faith, broken families, poverty, indolence and sickness such as tuberculosis, cancer, HIV\AIDS and drug addiction.

Taking the example of Mother Mary who reached out in service, the sisters, strive to serve the needy brethren of the society regardless of caste, creed, religion, gender or age. This is evident from the ever-growing number of residents at Prashanth Nivas and Children’s home. With the help of generous benefactors they do their best to make the life of the residents as comfortable as possible by providing them with decent accommodation, food, clothing, medicine, spiritual and emotional support, as well as opportunities for education. The sisters generously extend their services to the children in the school, care for the destitute and differently abled, render service to the boarding children, do social welfare and socio-pastoral service, conduct tailoring classes and take care of the elderly sisters in the infirmary. One sister renders her service at the College of Nursing at Athena Institute of Health Sciences, Mangalore and one sister renders her service in St. Gerosa High School. The sisters also visit the families of their students and the needy in the locality and are involved in the pastoral activities.

 

MARIA SADAN - OLAVINA HALLI, KINYA

Maria Sadan - Olavina Halli is 18 kms away from Mangalore city. It is situated in Kinya, Someshwar - Karnataka. It was erected in 1974 with the name ‘Olavina Halli’, which means ‘village of love’. It was started by an Italian visionary the Late Sr. Amelia Cimolino (SCCG), who was the pioneer of this centre. The purpose of this Mission was to cater to the leprosy patients, the destitute and their rehabilitation. At present the sisters render their service to 105 destitutes both men and women, including 21pateints of Hansen disease, of all castes and creeds. The majority of them are ‘Senior Citizens’. The above residents have been accommodated in four wards, where the sisters nurse them with love and tenderness by attending to their physical, psychological and spiritual needs. The institution also has a resident Chaplain.

The people of this locality are economically poor; the prevailing problems are drunkenness, superstitious beliefs and deterioration of moral values. They also assist the youth in finding employment and in settling them in life. Programmes are conducted to create awareness of the hazards of alcoholism and drug addiction. They work for the empowerment of women and impart faith formation and moral education. The sisters also run a Kindergarten school.

 

NIRMALA CONVENT - ULLAL

Nirmala Social Welfare Centre, Ullal is situated on the South Western Coast of India along the Arabian Sea. The land covering 6.11 acres had been donated by Late Mr. Felix Pai Albuquerque, the father of late Sr. Felix Albuquerque (SCCG) to start a Centre with the objective of reaching out to the neediest through social welfare services.

On the 6th December 1962 the community of Nirmala Convent was erected with 4 sisters. They started a nursery school, tailoring course, and social work in the neighbourhood, especially among the young girls employed in the fish factory. Ullal is a thickly populated area with a variety of cultures and languages. Alcoholism, superstitions and communalism exist, but overall peace and harmony prevail. The Parish caters to 1150 families with 6500 Catholic population. From 1973 onwards various organized services have been taken up and at present they are engaged in a number of services: A small hospital mainly for women and children, training for the Nursing Health Care Helpers, embroidery and tailoring classes for young girls and women and a residence for those who need, settling in marriage the poor and orphan girls of the institution, senior citizens’ home and boarding facilities, infirmary for the elderly and sick sisters.

 

ST. ALOYSIUS CONVENT - NEHRUNAGAR

Early in 1980 an Aloysian social service unit, a home for 12 TB patients was set up at Nehrunagar as a memorial to mark the centenary celebration of St. Aloysius College of the Jesuits. In the following year the Rector of the college had an inspiration to convert this shelter of the TB patients into a boys’ home as this would provide scope for service to the Aloysian boys. After obtaining the necessary approval the enthusiastic sisters entered this apostolic field with great trust in God. At the inception, there were only 9 boys. This home was soon to become a Government recognized institution. It was directly attached to the provincial house; but in 1983 it became the off-shoot of Nirmala Convent. It was only on Sept. 8th, 1993 a community was erected here. The Aloysian boys’ home caters primarily to delinquent children, runaways, those remanded to custody by the police. To remove the stigma that would be associated with anyone staying in a home for delinquents it is also made a home for destitute children. Sisters are also engaged in faith formation of the laity and counselling of school children.

 

ST. GEROSA CONVENT - MANGALORE

St. Gerosa Convent is situated within Mangalore City Corporation. The majority of people belong to the middle class and others are economically poor. The people are affected by moral problems such as broken families, drunkenness and inter-religious marriages. Unhealthy usage of mass media is an emerging problem which affects faith, prayer and family life.

Since most of the girls on completing their VII Std. at Infant Mary’s Higher Primary School, Jeppu, were discontinuing their studies because of poverty and they could not afford to go to distant schools, a High School was opened. After the example of St. Vincenza Gerosa’s love for the poor, the sisters were inspired to open a boarding house in order to cater to the weaker sections of the society.  A Tailoring class was begun in order to help the poor young girls to earn their living.  In 1973, the present convent was constructed within the very premises of St. Gerosa School.  In order to help to build healthy relationships between boys and girls, co-education was started in the year 2010 in L.K.G and U.K.G and then continued up to S.S.L.C. Today it has a full-fledged school from Kindergarten to High School. Sisters are also involved in teaching catechism and animating the liturgy in the parish.

 

ST. GEROSA’S CONVENT - NARAVI

Naravi is a tiny but beautiful village nestled in the panoramic landscape of the Western Ghats. It is situated in Belthanagady of Dakshina Kannada District. The mission of Naravi was started by Rev. Fr. Faustine Corti S.J. in the year 1905. It is one of the malnad missions established by the Jesuit Fathers under the patronage of St. Antony of Padua.

In the year 1934 the Sisters of Charity received a call from the Mission Director of Naravi to help the Jesuit Missionaries in the work of Evangelization through Education and faith formation. Hence the sisters started rendering their generous service in the Primary and High schools and in the Orphanage. The sisters were entrusted with the caring for the children under the parish management. The building of character, the instilling Christ’s values and formation to good Christian living is the main thrust of the institution. The sisters blend motherliness with keenness in caring for the children and the children receive spiritual and moral training.

The sisters form a close knit family with the parish. Visiting the families regularly and remaining close to them is a marked feature of the community. Youth programmes are a vital part of the mission of Naravi. Redeeming charity has found its echo in Naravi and continues its mission of love with full zest.  

 

ST. JOSEPH’S CONVENT - NELLYADY

St Joseph’s Convent, Nellyady was canonically erected in 1994 with the aim of having a rehabilitation centre for the differently abled women and girls of Prashanth Nivas Jeppu. The Community is situated on the outskirts of the Kokkada parish which consists of 215 catholic families with a population of 1060. Apart from Latin rite families there are Catholics belonging to Syro-Malabar and Syro-Malankara rites. There are various groups of Christians belonging to different denominations. Alcoholism, broken families, spiritual and material poverty, lack of basic necessities of life are visible among the people.

Inspired by the need of the numerous children of this locality and the surrounding villages, who due to poverty, illiteracy and mal-nutrition were living unhappy  and unhealthy lives, deprived of proper food, medicines and educational facilities, the sisters were urged to think how best to make the lives of these children happy and contented. So the centre opened its doors to render medical assistance, Nutrition Programme, Mahila Mandal, Saving Scheme, Alcoholic Anonymous, Coaching classes for the weaker children and to help the needy.

The care of the differently abled is carried out by the sisters with dedication, love and competence, unmindful of the sacrifices entailed. The community is also involved in the socio-welfare work helping the poor students and guiding self-help groups. The sisters have extended their service to the parish and the work of human promotion in the neighbouring villages through a sponsorship programme. The community also takes care of the faith formation of the Catholics in the sub-station.   

 

ST. VINCENT CONVENT - KANKANADY

The community of St. Vincent Convent is situated in Kankanady in the city of Mangalore. This community was opened in the year 1898 to assist the sick in the hospital at the invitation of a German Jesuit Father Augustus Muller, the founder who had started the hospital in 1880. In response to the signs of the time the community took upon itself to render services such as Nursing Education, care of Leprosy patients, the Differently abled, De-addiction of alcoholics, the Terminally ill and other Supportive services such as the Medical Store and the Hostel.

Though sisters live in an urban area, they mostly serve the people who constitute the economically lower and middle class families.  More than 50% of the patients belong to the poor and neglected group of the society. The sisters are also engaged in the Pastoral Care of the youth in the campus and the local parishes.

 

NAVACHETHANA ASHRAM - CHANNAGIRI

The community of Navachethana Ashram was erected on 29th June, 1996 with the request of Most Rev. Ignatius Pinto, Bishop of Shimoga, to cater to the education of the children and faith formation of the Catholics. Channagiri is a semi Malnad area in the District of Davangere and it comprises of 284 villages with a population of 3 lakhs. The Catholic population is about 18 families spread out in various places.

It is a multi-religious locality. The existing problems are unemployment, migration of families for livelihood, exploitation of women, poverty, superstitions and false beliefs. The sisters reach out to the needs of the locality, through education, faith formation of the Catholic families, and through evangelization.

 

ANUGRAHA - AREHALLI

Anugraha Convent is situated in Arehalli, Belur Taluk, Hassan district. The community was erected on 29th of June 1986 at the request of the Bishop of Chikmagalur, to run the Kannada medium Nursery and Primary School and to render help in the spiritual and moral life of the people.

Arehalli is a village quite far from the city. It is a multi religious centre and people belong to a poor economic background, work in the coffee estates. The moral standards of the people are rather low and drunkenness, gambling, mixed marriages; broken families are the prevailing evils in the society.

The sisters render their service in the field of education, faith formation of the Catholics, take care of the children in the boarding house and engage themselves in Socio-Pastoral work. While rendering value based education the sisters accept the students of all castes and creeds without any discrimination. They visit the families of the students to know their family background and to help them in their difficulties. They also animate the women’s association and youth movement enabling them to be better citizens. The community renders service in the Parish High School.

 

ST. PHILOMENA’S CONVENT - HASSAN.

The community was started in compliance with the request of His Lordship Rene Feuga, Bishop of Mysore and the civil authorities of the town, on 21st July 1945 for the purpose of education especially of Catholics. The socio-cultural context is mainly characterized by poverty, deteriorization of moral values, lack of tolerance among the members of various religions and language groups and different castes, individualism, loss of faith and loss of religious values especially among the Catholics. The Catholic population is about 4,500 and they belong to the lower economic group. This is the only Catholic Educational Institution exclusively for girls in the city. The sisters commit themselves to provide value oriented education to the students, to support and aid the Catholic children who seek shelter in their boarding house due to poverty and lack of schools in the native villages, to provide hostel facilities for the PU and Degree students and also for employees, to have faith formation for the Catholic students in the Institution and to involve in the parish activities.

In fact the history of St. Philomena’s is like the story of the mustard seed in the Gospel. It was started as a humble middle school, but has now grown into a mighty tree embracing students from the Nursery to a full-fledged Degree College.

 

JEEVANDHARA - HASSAN

The Sisters of Charity at St. Philomena’s Convent - Hassan were rendering their service through education and became more concerned towards the children of the slums and the nearby villages. Through their visits to these families of the children they discovered various needs and problems and there sprouted the thought of social work. As the work at the Centre called Seva Kendra increased, lay collaborators were employed for the smooth functioning of this work. The sisters who were daily travelling to and fro to the villages and the slums from St. Philomena’s Convent found it necessary to stay at Seva Kendra to lessen their fatigue and for the better supervision of the lay collaborators. Gradually in 1994 an independent community was erected with the name ‘Jeevandhara’ and the centre was called as ‘Jeevandhara Seva Kendra’.

Hassan is industrially developing and is still in the influx of industrial development. Most of the women folk are employed in the factories preparing garments, pickles, cement blocks and electric poles. The city has a population of 17,00,500 and the Catholics are 4500 from 427 families.  Hassan is a multi-linguistic and multi-cultural town.

Jeevandhara Seva Kendra is a registered body, which goes beyond the barriers of caste, creed and religion. It has its aim and objectives and it strives towards the development of every person. The Jeevandhara community of five sisters along with the staff creates awareness, bring comfort to those in need and render service to all categories of needy people. St. Philomena’s Mahila Samaj is a registered body. It works towards the empowerment of women in the villages and slum areas of Hassan town. Tailoring and bag making unit is in function in the center. Santhwana women’s help line - This project offers immediate help and assistance to the women in distress and in crisis. This project is assisted by women and child development department. The center offers 24 hours of service with one councillor and 3 social workers. Women of the slums and of Hanumanthpura village are helped through Child Care Centers. The children are taken care by a teacher and helpers so that women can go to work and earn their livelihood. 6 women are employed to roll the agarbathis. They take the material home, finish the work then they are paid for the work done. Another group of 5 women are engaged in uniform stitching. They are paid in piece wage. Self help groups’ activities are supervised by the director and co-coordinators. They willingly come for the meetings, awareness programs and different activities that are conducted in the centre or in villages. There is lot of change and development seen in their lives, in their families and locality.

 

ST. JOSEPH’S CONVENT -  SAKLASPUR

St. Joseph’s Convent is situated in Saklaspur town of Hassan District. It was opened in 1944 at the request of the then Parish Priest Rev.Fr. P.S.Fernandes along with Mr. Ligoury D’Souza and Mr. Mallanna, with a view to impart an integral and value based education to the girls of Malanad area around Saklaspur.

The society is divided into upper and lower classes and the poor people mostly work in the coffee estates. Drunkenness and gambling are the vices prevailing in the society and the broken families are on the increase.

The sisters cater to the education of the students in the Kannada and English Medium Schools for boys and girls. They are also involved in faith formation of the Catholics, caring for the children in the boarding house, parish work, pastoral care of the youth and eradication of poverty. The sisters also strive to build up broken families by reaching out to them in their needs through regular family visits. Thus they keep in touch with the students and their parents and motivate them for a better living.

 

ST. ALPHONSUS CONVENT - ALPHONSNAGAR

Shettihalli was a flourishing village with a good Catholic population. In 1971 when the Gorur dam was constructed and the village was submerged under water, the people were obliged to shift from there. Some of the families were allotted barren land in this place, which was named after the then bishop Most Rev. Alphonsus Mathias.

Earlier the community of Sisters at Hassan was attending to the spiritual needs of these people; then a sub-station was formed and later still a community was established in 1981 in order to render better service to the people. But officially a superior took charge of the community only in 1983.

Most of the families in this region are agriculturists. There is progress in education and in economical standards, but spiritual and moral aspects still need improvement. A few families are victims of addiction to drugs and alcoholism and a few suffer from AIDS.

In 1979 a temporary church was erected with 60 catholic families consisting of 552 people. At present there are 161 catholic families with a population of 667. The sisters dedicate themselves for the education and faith formation of Christian families, especially of Youth.

 

ASHIRVAD - KRISHNA R AJ PETE

The community was started at the request of the then Bishop of Mysore Rt. Rev. Dr. S. F. Mathias Fernandes in the year 1982. The purpose was to evangelize through the works of mercy in the field of Education, Health-Care and Socio-Pastoral work.

K.R. Pete taluk which is in Mandya district, has a total population of about 2,30,000 out of which about 200 are Catholics. Gradually the Christian presence has grown during the past 30 years and at present there are about 55 families.

Sisters render their services towards: education of children, faith formation of Catholics, strengthening the moral life of the people, prevention of alcoholism and HIV AIDS. Ashirvad has been a blessing to all without discrimination and it is identified as the best school in K.R.Pete taluk for its discipline, curricular and co-curricular activities. The sisters are forging ahead in imparting quality education.

*CAPITANIO NILAYA - is an offshoot of K.R.Pete was constituted at Theganahalli in view of reaching out to the poor of the society through an English Medium High school. 

 

HOLY REDEEMER’S CONVENT - HOSANAGAR

Holy Redeemer’s Convent was erected on 29th June 1990 in order to cater to the needs of the people of Hosanagar.  The Primary needs were education, health care and upliftment of women. A kindergarten school, a small dispensary and a tailoring unit were opened on a temporary basis. As the local Govt. hospital soon improved, the dispensary was closed. Since there were no more candidates to learn tailoring, the unit was shut down. Recognizing the pressing need for education and urged by the active charity of the Redeemer, a school was constructed in 1993, which has grown today up to II PUC. To provide an opportunity for the young girls of the distant villages for education a girls’ hostel for high school and P.U.C students was started in 2006. The community is also engaged in the pastoral work. There exists a good relationship between the people of different faiths. The parish consists of 80 families. The youth are creative and need proper orientation.

 

*MALLIGE CONVENT - Shimoga is the off shoot of Hosanagar Community. Bishop Rt. Rev. Dr. Gerald Isaac Lobo invited the sisters to render service in the Secretariat and the Bishop’s House at Shimoga in May 2000. Shimoga district has only 1% Christian presence. People suffer due to poverty, illiteracy, unemployment, and superstitious practices.  The diocese is young, the clergy are few in number, and the message of Christ has not yet reached all the taluks.

 

DON BOSIO’S CONVENT - BELMAN

Don Bosio’s Convent was started at the request of Fr. Nicholas Pereira in 1966 with the aim of strengthening the faith of the Christian Community through education and socio-pastoral service.

Belman is in the District of Udupi with a Catholic population of 2,300. Most of the beneficiaries belong to the lower middle class and to economically poor families. They are often afflicted with moral problems such as alcoholism, superstitious beliefs, broken families etc. which lead to emotional imbalance and moral degradation resulting in increase in the number of HIV/AIDS patients. Being aware of the problems of the people, the sisters take care of the integral formation of the students, foster dignity of labour and eco-awareness. Create awareness of the existing social evils and work towards the eradication of the same.

*MEA SADAN - Mulky is the Offshoot of Don Bosio’s Convent - Belman, which was started in the year 2006. Complying with the decision of the XII Provincial Chapter, “to avail ourselves of the opportunities to get into institutions run by government and other agencies whenever necessary and possible” (Acts XXIV GC. 41), the sisters welcomed to render their services in St. Ann’s College of Nursing, managed by a lay person.

 

IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY CONVENT - BARKUR

The community was erected at the request of Fr. Aloysius Rosario, on 4th June 1966 at Barkur, to provide moral and academic education. The sisters run the boarding house for poor girls of the nearby villages. Sisters also render their services in the parish school. In this socio-territorial context the population is 7,540 which comprise the Hindus, Christians and the Muslims. The total number of Catholics is 1476, consisting of 329 families. The social evils like suppression of women, alcoholism, broken families and neglect of the aged are some of the prevailing problems.

The sisters render their services in the high school and in the parish. They joyfully collaborate with others to impart moral and Christian values and take care of the faith formation and contribute for the promotion of women. The sisters take keen interest in inculcating the values in the children, youth and the parishioners through parish activities.

 

JOS-COL CONVENT - BELVE

The community of Belve belongs to Udupi District far from the city. This community came into existence on the 1st of November 1970 at the request of Rt. Rev. Dr. Basil D’souza the then Bishop of Mangalore. It was to cater to the education of the children, to care for the boarding children and to take care of the family apostolate. The people are basically from a poor background and superstitions, illiteracy and poverty are the prevailing problems.

The sisters render their generous services by educating the socially and economically poor students of the locality. They also take care of the children in the boarding house, by providing them value based education. They promote faith formation of the Catholics, work for the empowerment of women, and visit the families of the students and the people in order to listen to their problems and help them to face the realities of life. Thus the sisters strive for the all round development of the children and the society.

 

SACRED HEART CONVENT - BRAHMAVAR

The Sacred Heart Convent is situated in the center of Brahmavar on the National High way 17. The Sisters were invited here in the year 1938.  Right from the beginning the sisters’ presence was desired in order to instill and strengthen the Catholic faith. In view of this the sisters committed themselves to render their services in the Nirmala Higher Primary School run by the parish.  In 1963 Nirmala High School was started. Knowing that there are many villages without any school and many young girls are deprived of education, the sisters were inspired to open a Children’s home in order give them shelter and provide all-round education.  A little later the sisters felt their presence was required also in the neighbouring Parish of Pethri and offered their selfless services there too.

The Community belongs to Holy Family Church Brahmavar, of the Diocese of Udupi, with 500 families. The Population of these villages is around 40,000. The locality consists of Hindus, Muslims and Christians of various denominations. The people here are rather weak in moral values. There exists a problem of increased un-employment among the educated youth, suicidal tendencies, few instances of broken families and alcoholism among the Christians. The sisters take active part in the parish activities.

 

ST. FRANCIS XAVIER CONVENT - UDYAVAR

The Sisters of Charity were invited to Udyavar parish by the then Parish Priest late Rev Fr. Thomas D’ Souza in the year 1981. It was also the desire of the late Bishop Basil D’ Souza to start a community in the village of Udayavar. As per the request of the ecclesial authority the sisters began the mission with the aim of strengthening the faith of the Christian community through education and socio-pastoral activities as well as promoting women’s dignity and making them aware of their feminine role in the family, Church and society.

The locality consists of people belonging to various religions mainly Catholics, Hindus and Muslims. There is religious tolerance in this area.

 

ST. LAWRENCE CONVENT - KARKAL

St. Lawrence Convent at Attur, Karkal was established in 1958 with the purpose of imparting education to the children and to render pastoral services in the local church. In 1958 sisters were appointed in the parish Primary School. In 1960, the children’s home was started to accommodate those students of the parish who are poor and live far from the school. In 1992, the services of the sisters also were requested in the High School.

The community is situated in a place called Attur in Karkal taluk. It is a multi religious locality. There are a number of Catholic families in this area. Most of the people here belong to the lower middle class, are economically poor, socially marginalized and discriminated. They are often afflicted with moral problems such as drunkenness, broken families due to strained marital relationships. Though people possess a deep religiosity, the society is still threatened by communal problems. It is a pilgrimage centre dedicated to St. Lawrence. Pilgrims from all sides irrespective of caste, creed and religion flock to the shrine throughout the year in great numbers.

 

KRIPALAYA - KARIKAL

Kripalaya Convent is situated in Karikal village, which is 3 kms away from the coastal town of Bhatkal, in North Canara district. It belongs to the diocese of Karvar. The sisters were asked by the Bishop of Karvar Most Rev. Dr. William D’Mello, to cater to the health needs of the people of the surrounding villages and to assist in the socio-pastoral activities. In response to this invitation, ‘Kripalaya’ was started on 29th June 1997, on an experimental basis with 3 sisters. The canonical erection of the community took place on 29th June 1999.

Being situated in a rural area, the people whom they serve are poor and come under the category of below poverty line. Drunkenness and wife battering, immoral and unhygienic ways of living, superstitious beliefs and poverty are prevalent among these people. The income of the people depends mainly on manual labour and daily wages. The fishermen earn their living by their fishing trade. Very few people own land to be cultivated. Most of the adults are uneducated and few of the children are school drop outs. The Christian community here is very small and lives among the Hindu fundamentalists. The sisters take care of  the faith formation of the Catholics, meets the health needs of the poor at preventive, promotive and curative levels, pays attention to children’s education, imparts health and value education for the adults, youth and children and assists the poor families to improve their living conditions. In this way they share the merciful and compassionate love of Jesus with the most needy.

 

ST. CAPITANIO’S CONVENT - BELA

The community of St. Capitanio’s Convent - Bela was erected on 22nd February in 1932 as a memorial of the centenary of the foundation of the Institute, in view of continuing the mission of Christ, by reaching out to the needs of the people living in this remote place. The community belongs to Bela parish; Kasargod district which has the same culture and language as that of Mangalore Diocese. There are about 395 families with 2065 Catholics in the parish. Hindus, Muslims, Scheduled castes, Scheduled tribes and other backward classes of people also live here. Although there is improvement in this locality over the years, poverty is still prevalent. Most of the people are day labourers. There is an increase of incurable diseases besides drug addiction and malnutrition prevailing in this place. 

The sisters endeavour to keep aflame the lamp of love in their hearts and by their life shed its glow all around them. The warmth of their love for God and for their neighbour keeps them close to one another and to those whom they serve. By their regular family visits and personal contact with the people they help the needy, comfort and console those in sorrow, encourage and motivate the discouraged, guide and counsel those who strayed from the right path. The sisters take interest in the faith formation of Christian families, education of poor Catholic children, conscientisation of the youth and their role in their family and society and contributing for the empowerment of women and liberation from alcoholism.

 

HOLY FAMILY CONVENT - KUMBLA

The community of Holy Family Convent - Kumbla was started on November 16th 1936, by 3 sisters with the objective of education and direct evangelization.

The convent is situated in the heart of Kumbla town near the Railway station and Bus stand. Close to it is the Parish Church of Kumbla belonging to the diocese of Mangalore and dedicated to St Monica. The community is surrounded by the people of different faiths, mainly Hindus and Muslims. The Catholic population is very negligible in this place and about 60% are poor.

Sisters undertake the education of children, faith formation of Catholics and promotion of women and youth. The community is also involved in the pastoral activities in the sub-station.